- This event has passed.
November 29, 2022
Give Big Pittsburgh
Give Big Pittsburgh raises money for local nonprofits through a single online donation platform, providing a simple way to connect donors to the charitable causes they care about most. This 24-hour online fundraising effort, hosted by Pittsburgh Magazine and local sponsors, offers nonprofits the chance to raise funds to support their critical missions. DONATE HERE ON TUESDAY, 11/29.
Not All Classrooms Have Four Walls
Did you know that there are over 4 million students with reported emotional, cognitive, and behavior disabilities in the United States? The students attending our Outdoor Learning Lab programs face these and other challenges in their daily life. Nearly half have an individualized education plan (IEP), and 82% qualify for free and reduced lunch.
Not all classrooms have four walls. Some, like our Outdoor Learning Lab, break down barriers to outdoor experiences by providing no or low-cost programs to Southwestern Pennsylvania students. Venture Outdoors partners with 15+ schools and afterschool centers to build multi-year relationships with students in grades K-12.
Here’s what we know about the long-term positive impacts of outdoor education on students and faculty. Outdoor education:
- increases capability for self-evaluation, self-confidence, and the ability to tackle real-world scenarios.
- develops interpersonal relationships, leadership capabilities, and the ability to work together to accomplish goals.
- provides opportunities for success and diminishes the perception of underachievement for students that often struggle within the traditional classroom.
- promotes successful relationships through developing common ground rooted in shared experiences and accomplishment.
- enhances students’ attitude about learning, physical, mental, and social health, and school performance.
During Outdoor Learning Lab sessions, students experience the thrill of the outdoors – by kayaking, biking, snowshoeing, geocaching, rock climbing, ziplining, and horseback riding – while also integrating academic disciplines and exploring STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) concepts through activities such as kite building, seed planting, air quality testing, water experiments, species identification, and so much more!
Please help us continue to bring this unique program to the students who need it most. Your donation on Giving Tuesday will provide outdoor educators, equipment, and inspiration for the rest of the school year and beyond. DONATE HERE on Tuesday, 11/29.