Samone Riddle they/them
1. Briefly tell us about your background: where did you grow up, where did you go to school, and what brought you to Venture Outdoors?
I was a military brat for a while and lived all over the country. We finally settled in Virginia for most of my youth. From there I ran off to Pittsburgh to spend a year at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, then finished my double major degree in Mass Media and Art at Carlow University. I was an Americorps Public Ally from 2014-2016 and it was an incredible experience that got me on track to work for Pittsburgh’s incredible nonprofits, including the YWCA, Healthy Ride (now Pogoh), Bike Pittsburgh, and Venture Outdoors.
2. Describe your role at Venture Outdoors in 10 words or less.
Tell the world what we do – and make it pretty.
3. If you had to pick only one recreational activity to practice for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
4. What are your top five favorite outdoors/travel destinations?
Anywhere with a good bike trail
Anywhere I can string up a hammock
Colorado – Pikes Peak
Taos, New Mexico
The Red Woods
5. What is your favorite forest/camping snack?
6. Name three people in history (dead or alive) with whom you would want to take on a Venture Outdoors program of your choice.
My mom, my grandmas (collectively), Stevie Nicks
7. What is the earliest memory you have of being outside?
Helping my grandma in her garden.
8. Any hidden talents?
I can name all the states in alphabetical order.
9. What is your favorite song (or album) right now?
Remi Wolf’s whole discogrpahy
10. What is your biggest challenge nowadays?
Finding time to do everything I want to do, and go all the places I want to go.